Saturday 29 September 2007

Taking the fight to it.

So for all intents and purposes my treatment would consist of 30 x 60gy sessions of radical radiotherapy, and that’s all. My neurosurgeon didn’t want to take the risk of removing anymore tumour, and my PCT were too busy worshiping the dollar to give me my life-preserving drug. And that’s when Francesca and her mother had the great idea of getting a second opinion in Italy.
A few years prior, Francesca’s mother developed an excruciatingly painful but benign tumour on her spine. A radical neurosurgeon called Aldo Spallone safely removed said tumour, and a few weeks later she was walking again. Anyway, she suggested that I meet this Prof. Spallone to see if there was any alternative in Italy to the UK’s ‘suck-it-and-see’ fingers-crossed approach. This idea was met with some disconcertion by my consultant oncologist, who believed that Prof. Spallone was too radical a surgeon. He added that if I insisted on looking for second opinions abroad I should consider two surgeons that he was familiar with and confident in. I took his suggestion on board and accepted his offer.
A flurry of e-mails with copied MRI slides followed, and two weeks later (15/12/2006) I was sitting in Prof Spallone’s office in the Neurological Center of Latinum (NCL) in the outskirts of Rome.
Spallone was an impressive man, almost identical in appearance to the actor from Criminal Minds, Mandy Patinkin.
In conversation, I soon discovered that he had been a practicing neurosurgeon for a considerable number of years having completed his training in the now defunct Soviet Union. Indeed, he had travelled far and wide performing surgery, and had patients in Cuba to his credentials. His private clinic was impressive as well; an immaculate three-storey building in its own grounds, built in the 70’s, with nursing staff dressed in traditional white uniforms.
Part of the consultation fee included an MRI. This was a little too noisy, as they didn’t supply headphones or earplugs. Later, upon studying the images, the professor agreed on the tumour’s classification and stated that he could remove all if not most of it. However, he added that there was always going to be a risk of a complication. For example, he would be working around some major blood vessels, and nicking one of them would mean ‘goodnight Vienna’ for me. Nonetheless, he was confident that he could carry out the surgery, and emphasised that he had performed the procedure a number of times before. I now had another option. I was taking the fight to it!

10 comments:

Ed said...

Go Spallone.

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

As you can see, I'm back on form, and churning out some serious shit!

Ed said...

Blackie has arrived

freshtopia said...

Mr. Hunt,
heh.
Oscar Grimm here. Sorry about the rough news. I got the rough news last February (GBM IV). Had surgery and two rounds of Temodar (Temozolomide). Living well here in Oakland California

My T count dropped so I went off of chemo for a bit, in which time I learned much. Now I've been off chemo for almost four months and for the first time my tumor is showing signs of shrinking. I've been putting together my own protocol and it seems to be working famously so far.

At any rate, if you're interested in sharing research let me know. I've learned a lot of interesting things, not endorsed by the corporate-funded medical orthodoxy.

All the best on your fight. It's not as hopeless as they say.

Blessings and luck,
Oscar
grimm at papercardinal .dot. com

The accidental artist said...

Oscar, having problems with your blog, its activex hell. Follow my web page to my e-mail and drop me a line for some one-on-one dialogue about our fucked-up condition.

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Ditto, I can't get round your website. I would like to talk some more.

LITTLE FOX said...

Hello Ivan,
Here's a blast from your past and probably one you don't remember. My brother used to bring you home sometimes to our house. Of all his friends from school you were the nicest by far. I always remember you being friendly and refreshingly polite. I can still see you walking up our hall. You looked on your best behaviour, but there was always a twinkle of mischief in your eyes. I used to see you through the window at the cleaners, but was probably too shy to say "Hi". Well, we never forgot you Ivan and were stunned when we heard of your situation. My brother must be fed up of me asking if there is any news on how Ivan is doing. So I am writing now to say a big "Hello". I am PC Plod's youngest sister, the dark, quiet one, if that rings a bell. I have been following your blog with anticipation and interest. It is brilliantly written. I wonder if it has been as hard to write as some installments have been hard to read. Everything takes on a new dimension when you are reading about someone you know, even if you do not know them well. I empathize with you totally over the NHS and your medical needs. I have well had my share of shenannegins with the NHS over the past ten years and find it about as useful as a cardboard spoon in a bowl of hot soup! At times of crisis, the support, funding and staff are just not there. Disgusting! I am so glad that you have kept your sense of humour, its probably a key element in your survival.

LITTLE FOX said...

Hmph! Feckin computers! They are a mystery to me. I have never written on a blog before and I just got cut off before I had finished. Who's the cardboard spoon now? I have been trying to think of something I could say that would be of some use or support, that you had not heard a hundred times already. Hope you feel better soon just doesn't do it. Your'e not exactly dealing with a bad case of Flu are you? If thoughts of good health and wellbeing could be transfered from one mind to another, I would have zapped the unwanted guest you are trying to murder as soon as big brother told me about it. Whatever thoughts come your way I hope it gives you some support even in a small way. Warmest wishes from Little Fox.

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Le Renard, thankyou for your kind comments. I think it merits a cup of Starbuck's finest on me.

LITTLE FOX said...

Hmm...tea and biscuits, sounds good. Hope its all going as well as possible. I heard last week that you are on another cycle of treatment, you must be exhausted. I hope you can find the energy to keep writing your blog when you feel up to it. I think writing has great theraputic benefits, rather like art.Here is a positive. You are the third person I have known to have had a brain tumour. What are the chances of that happening? My two friends have had it rough but both are still with us over ten years after diagnosis.I hope this news increases your faith a little.Surely there is always hope, even in the darkest of places."Don't burn the library till you've read all the books"
Warmest wishes, Little Fox