Wednesday 5 September 2007

He who laughs last has not yet heard the bad news. Bertolt Brecht.

On the 13th November 2006 I attended my mother’s funeral service at my adopted parish church, St. Elizabeth’s of Portugal in Richmond. It was a fairly small turn out, my aunt, Francesca, her mother, my daughters, and some friends from work.
Afterwards, a hearse takes her remains up to the Wirral for burial. This will be in two days time. Unfortunately, I am not fit enough to travel. However, as expected, friends and relatives from the Wirral attend the burial to pay their last respects.

A full two weeks after the operation I go to the out patients clinic at the Royal Marsden for the result of the biopsy. Sadly, the results haven’t come back from
Pathology. They give me another appointment for two weeks.

The days drag by until the appointment. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the tumour is not as serious as it looks in the MRI. Again, I go to the clinic with Francesca. This time the head of the dept. comes into the consultation room. He has the results. He is ‘backed up’ by two other clinicians. The rest is a blur. I pick out the words, ‘not good news I’m afraid’, and ‘malignant’. A seizure that is a size 9 on the Richter scale envelops me. I struggle to stay seated on my chair.
There are no treatment options, its radiotherapy from here on in. Another appointment is made.

6 comments:

Ed said...

Are you back down south?

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Yes, had to go to the outpatients clinic for my monthly fix.
I already miss blasting targets in the garden with the Walther. Don't have the luxury of my own personal forest down here.
Cooked the most amazing pasta meal tonite. Something worthy of your blog. Squid ink fettucini with saute scallops on top. Mmmmm.
Oh yeah, an Ebay cheque will be winging its way to you soon.

Ed said...

Next time your up here we'll do that revolting seafood dish and blog it, but only enough for one as I wont be eating it.
Take care and say hello to your women.

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Saute scallops in a bed of squid ink fetuccini. Taste heaven!

Ed said...

Check this out dude.

http://www.airsoftadventure.co.uk/ishop/1066/shopscr733.html

Huba, huba!

Ed said...

Nice "new" pic fella but isn't that some sort of identity theft.
Oh and check your yahoo.
Chin chin