Monday 15 October 2007

Men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.

It had been a bit of a rush job, probably wouldn’t have been any faster if I’d ‘knocked-up’ a Sicilian Don’s daughter. Anyway, neither Francesca nor I had been big supporters of the institution of marriage. I had always subscribed to the idiom; if its not broken, don’t fix it! And Francesca had bore witness to her parents’ messy divorce when she was a child, and that would taint anyone. However, the circumstances that we were now caught up in made us see the sacrament from a completely different perspective. By getting married I was protecting Francesca and the childrens’ police pension rights, giving them extra security. And besides, it seemed like the right thing to do. The woman had borne me two lovely daughters, and had stuck with me through ‘thick and thin’.
The invites were easy, simply log on to a vacant terminal at the closest police station and send out a blanket invite to my Borough’s Crime Squad and their spouses. The rest of the places would go to officers in other Boroughs and departments that I had grown close to, blood relatives (err… that would just be my Auntie Ann then!) and friends that weren’t in the Met. I was going to fill that church. Best man would be my oldest and most steadfast friend, J.T.L. (What do the initials stand for? I’m sorry, you’ll have to ask him that yourself. It’s not for me to say!).
The church? None other than St. Elizabeth’s, the venue of my oldest daughter’s baptism, and mother’s funeral. Only seems fitting, as the expression goes, ‘births, deaths and marriages’.
The reception venue was found quite by accident. Walking home from the church after a meeting with our priest, Father Mathias, we stumbled across a familiar, but hitherto overlooked venue, the Thai Elephant, Richmond. Simultaneously we exclaimed, “Hey, that would be large enough!” It didn’t take long for us to give the restaurateur the number of guests and requirements, and in record time a deal was struck.
To give the whole proceedings a topical crime scene theme, I insisted that the wedding photographer be a Scenes of Crime Officer (CSI). Well, they are professional photographers, and it’ll raise a smile in years to come when the guests think back. An urban legend in the making perhaps?
Little did I know that my friends on Borough had arranged with the Commissioner to use his staff car, which he kindly donated, as the wedding car. I was also to discover on the day that the Superintendent of Operations, Mr Chalk, had offered his services as chauffer, and Detective Chief Inspector De Meyer would be usher come umbrella man. As the ‘icing on the cake’, traffic police would kindly supply a uniformed motorcycle outrider.

After shopping for clothes and accoutrements, such as an engagement ring, we were all set for the big day. Not bad considering the whole thing took less than three weeks to put together. That would be the Royal Logistical Corps background then!

7 comments:

Komplutense said...

Glad to see you back!
The preparation looked like fun.
I would like to see the pictures one day. I'm sure they are great. I bet all the details were taken (no irony intended ;) )

M, with another nickname

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Hey M, when are you going to invite me into your blog (said the spider to the fly). Yeah, there are some good pictures. Coffee again soon eh?

Ed said...

If my lil sis saw this last entry, any pity she may feel for your plight would be heaved out of the window and she'd probably order a hit on you.
Three weeks from start to finish?!
She was planning her big day for about 5 months, but it did go off like clock work, even her torential rain scenario.
Which was nice.

Ed said...

PS.

I too would like to see the wedding phots one day.

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Dude, planning a wedding is over rated. Its simple unless you want a Disney princess job in the Bahamas. To start off with, go to the Registry Office and inform them of your intentions. Pay them £60ish. Have a word with your priest and provisionally book a slot in your local chiesa (church to you). Phone up the parish you were baptised in and get em to supply a copy of your baptism certificate (the priest needs this as it also shows if you were married before, yup, the church has a 'file' on you!). Next, Email your mates and tell em to bring their spouses on the specific date. Have a look see for a venue for the 'chow down' afterwards. Be a bit creative here. For example, a large Thai restaurant that would be quiet on a Saturday afternoon will be more than happy to give you a good price per head in order to put 'bums on seats'. Strike a deal, and as Del Boy would say, "Petite dejeuner, everyones a winner!" Next its shopping time. If you're in and out of court like me (my job, no Scouser jokes please) you'll have a selection of designer suits anyway. Buy a new tie, shirt, and socks. Polish the Gucci shoes. Buy a nice engagement ring with the missus to be (that way you know its gonna fit). Her mums already bought the wedding rings as a wedding prezzie. Bung the missus to be your credit card, and tell her to sort herself out some clobber for the day. She's happy coz birds love shopping anyhow! In the meantime, go and order a cake from your local pattiserie, and flowers from your local florist. Then sit back and wait for the day. Because I'm part of the largest family in the UK, my brothers and sisters laid on a motor and a CSI to take the snaps. They also supplied a swanky hotel room for the wedding night ;)

Komplutense said...

Definitely! We must have this coffee soon. My B.D is in December ;)
thank you for your visit!


I think the most important thing when you're planning a wedding is not saying (when possible) that is for a wedding.... this makes it all much much much cheaper

M

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

M, I wasn't too bothered about the cost. However, I didn't want to throw money away. I was more interested in getting it sorted quickly for obvious reasons, 'bish, bash, bosch', and not 'bish, bash, botch'. Fortunate for us, we are good organisers, and we had the weight of the Met behind us.